I am always looking for quick and easy dinners. Most nights, around 5pm I start to get that panicky feeling and the little voice in my head starts saying “what are you going to make for dinner?!” I usually start trying to answer this question by checking out some of my goto blogs. Oh She Glows is a favorite of mine, as none of her recipes have ever never let me down. The inspiration for my Hey, Hot Buddha Bowl came from Oh She Glows Buddha Bowl recipe.
I used to love hot wings…or so I thought! Lincoln and I used to frequent the local pub across the street for Wing Wednesday almost every week. Since becoming vegan, I’ve realized that I never really enjoyed gnawing meat off of an animal carcass, but what I loved was the hot sauce (…and the beer). So I’m always looking for ways that I can incorporate Franks Red Hot into my recipes (I put that shit on everything)!
This is a really easy dinner to prep, and takes about 40mins start to finish. Most of which are just waiting for the cauliflower and broccoli to roast. The original calls for baked chickpeas as well, but I find that it takes a lot of time to dry them properly so they become crispy and not just warm and soggy. The quinoa adds a protein punch to this quick and easy dinner, while the hot sauce and faux ranch add a lot of flavor. You can add as much or as little hot sauce as you like, depending on your taste.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 veggie bouillion cube ( or veggie broth for cooking quinoa)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
for hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot
- 1 tbsp earth balance (or other vegan butter)
for faux ranch
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise
- 2 tbsp french mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F, and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. rinse and chop cauliflower and broccoli into bite size pieces and arrange onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use 2 tsp olive oil and salt and pepper over cauliflower and broccoli and mix with hands until lightly coated.
3. Roast the broccoli, cauliflower for 20 minutes at 400F. After 20 minutes, flip cauliflower and broccoli . Roast both pans for another 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are cooked through and slighted browned on the bottom.
4. while veggies are roasting rinse and then cook quinoa. Add 1 cup quinoa in pot with 2 cups water and veggie bouillon cube. bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and let cook for 15mins . Once all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and let sit for 5 mins. Then fluff quinoa with fork.
5. Now make the faux ranch. Add Vegenaise, mustard and vinegar to a small bowl and mix.
5. Once veggies are roasted, toss cauliflower in mixture of Franks and Earth Balance. I usually just add the ingredients into a bowl with a lid and then shake it until all the cauliflower is coated in Franky goodness!
6. Now add quinoa, spicy cauliflower and broccoli to bowl and top off with a drizzle of ranch.