When I tell people that I’m vegan one of the most common things I hear is that “I could NEVER give up cheese”. Yes, cheese is delicious, but there are also many reasons to avoid dairy (I’m not going to get into the different reasons here, but if you’re interested in learning more the Google machine is a great place to start. The China Study is also a great book to learn more about how the body reacts to dairy). Giving up cheese is probably the most difficult aspect of being vegan for me as there are really no good substitutes. I’ve tried a few different versions of vegan Mac and “Cheese” and have never been very impressed. But, THIS Mac and Cheese is pretty damn tasty! Even Link said, “This is actually pretty good Phal!” I’ve already eaten 3 bowls of this stuff, and am trying really hard not to eat a 4th as I type this.
I literally made this while running out the door to a physio appointment. It took about 25 mins from start to finish! Fast AND delicious! Now that’s my kind of food!
What are your favourite vegan comfort foods? Comment below if you’d like to share.
Easy Peasy Mac and Cheezy
Yield: A Lot! Trust me, you’ll go back for more.
- Pasta of choice
- 1 large yellow potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion, in large chunks
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 Tbsp Miso paste
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 nutritional yeast
- 2 cups reserved water from the veggie boil
- Boil water and add in both potatoes. Boil for 2 mins.
- Start to cook pasta in 2nd pot.
- Add in carrots and boil for 5 mins
- Add in onion, stir and let boil for 7 mins
- Once the potato and carrots are soft, add them, along with 2 cups of reserved water, and the rest of the ingredients into the blender. Blend on high until you get a smooth and creamy constancy.
- add mixture to cooked noodles and combine in pot. Top with paprika and/or Franks Red Hot if you like a bit of spice!
- Try not to eat entire pot!