I LOVE TACOS! They are honestly one of my favourite foods. This week I tried to stick to a theme for every night of the week so that I would at least have a vague idea of what I’d be making for dinner. Tuesday was, of course, Taco Night! I didn’t have a specific plan in mind when I went grocery shopping so I just picked up some soft taco shells (even though Link prefers the hard ones…sorry honey), avocados and cilantro and figured that I could use whatever I had in the fridge/cupboard to fill in the rest. As my MIL (Monther-In-Law) likes to say “use it up!” I’ve been trying to be better at reducing the amount of food that’s wasted and tacos are a great way to “use up” random left over food. You can literally take anything, add it into a pan with some onion, garlic and chilli powder, then toss it into a shell with avocado, cilantro and salsa and you’ll have a tasty and unique taco! So, “use it up” and just go with what you’ve got in the fridge!
The tacos I ended up making were black bean, sweet potato and onion, topped with cabbage (still have soooo much cabbage to use up), corn and of course cilantro and avocado. I also decided to create a creamy spicy sauce to compliment the sweetness of the sweet potato and corn. The combination of these ingredients made for a super tasty taco. I’m going to post the recipe below but please, just take what you have and use this as an inspiration to help you “use it up!” Sorry for the lack of photos, but as per usual I was trying to get dinner on the table with a toddler litterly clinging on to my leg, a baby screaming in the background and a husband asking what to make said baby for dinner #multitasking. I’m going to try to do better and start getting in more pics!
Black Bean Tacos
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 sweet potato – roasted
- 1 Tsp chilli powder
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 avocado
- 6-8 soft taco shells
- lime wedges
- Heat oven to 400
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2″ think chips. Put onto baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and bake for 2o mins (or until soft).
- Add olive oil into pan over medium low heat with onion cook about 2 min, then add garlic and cook for another 1 min.
- Add in black beans, corn, spices and baked sweet potato into pan. Cover and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.
- heat tacos as per package instructions
- to serve add black bean mixture into heated tacos top with avocado, cabbage cilantro and spicy sauce. Add a squirt of fresh lime juice to finish.
For Spicy Chipotle Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/8-1/4 cup nutritional yeast (to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked chipotle powder
- Quick soak 1/2 cup cashews. To do this, place cashews in bowl and cover with boiled water. Cover bowl and let soak for 45 mins.
- Put cashews in high-speed blender along with the rest of ingredients and blend until smooth.